The Building Division reviews and approves all building plans, issues building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and other permits, and inspects buildings and projects under construction. The Building Division also inspects existing structures for unsafe or dilapidated conditions and begins the abatement process if necessary under the authority of the Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings. Code Enforcement is an integral part of the Division, responsible for safety, health, and various state and city code compliance.
A Building Permit is required anytime a building or structure, or any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical system is to be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished. There are some exceptions to this requirement and you should contact the Building Division to see if a permit is required. To obtain a Building Permit Application, please see below. The owner, or owners contractor, or owners agent (with signed letter from the owner) may then pay the fees and sign for the permit in person.
Work Exempt from Permits
Building Permit Counter at City Hall:
- 8am until 12pm - 1p.m. until 5p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Phone: (559) 891-2208 Fax: (559) 896-1068
- Dept of Housing and Community Development
- State Architect
- State Contractors Board
- CA Building Standards
- International Code Council
- International Assoc. of Plumbing & Mech Officials
- National Fire Protection Association
- CA Building Officials
- American National Standards Institute
- American Standards for Testing and Materials
- Underwriters Laboratory
- Fresno County